Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Gluten-free, way to be?

Thanksgiving was wonderful, but somewhere during that weekend I caught a cold/flu.  So that means my time in the lab as a guinea pig for the sleep study is postponed, since I can't enter with a fever.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time googling gluten sensitivity.  I'm fine, but we think Craig may be sensitive or allergic to gluten.  So, here goes a new venture into wheat free cooking.  I'm still going to eat wheat when I'm not with Craig, but going to try out gluten free dinners when we have our meals together.  I didn't realize how many things have gluten in them.  Soy sauce?  Who knew.

So, gluten free means I'm going to try and see if I can use the flour we already have for doggie treats.  I've never made dog treats before, and I don't know why I am intimidated about it, but I am.  My dogs will eat snotty used Kleenex and be happy, why do I fear failing with their treats?

I tried a gluten free peanut butter cookie this afternoon.  FAIL.  Maybe I just have too much of a sweet tooth.  But all natural peanut butter, an egg, some sweetener, and vanilla do not equal deliciousness.  It equals some sort of crumbly blahness.  And I love peanut butter.  Oh well.

Craig returns from DC for a work trip tonight.  Our gluten-free dinner will consist of leftover kale and potato soup with sausage.  It tastes wonderful, and I am excited.  Craig made this soup, though.  I need to get back onto my attempts at cooking.

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you! Gluten free cooking seems way more daunting than regular cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a test that costs about $130 that tests for food sensitivities. Im sensitive to all forms of wheat and bovine dairy. I can give you more info if you might be interested in it. Gluten-free is a pain in the butt; wheat is in EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete