Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I'm sorry


We are so mad at BP, at the Federal Government, at everyone else for causing this horrible disastor in the Gulf. We are quick to find blame with the giant oil corporations, upset that they have distributed 10B+ to its shareholders. We are angry with the federal government for not responding quickly enough, for not regulating enough.

But we as a nation can't escape the blame. We are oil hungry, gas hungry. I can't escape the blame. I am oil hungry, gas hungry. We look for easy fixes and quick answers. We consume and rely on oil -- the same oil that is now polluting our beaches, our playgrounds. We have created a huge demand for this thing. The oil companies are big and monstorous, but we created them. We created them and they took on a life of their own. Now this black gold that we have craved and sought and fought over is coming out at us in thousands of barrels a day. It is uncontrolled -- just like our desire for oil has become uncontrollable.

I'm sorry.

Two weekends ago my parents and Craig and I went fishing in the Panama City Bay area. As our little boat got closer to the opening into the gulf, we saw a couple of dolphins swimming. They were about 15 feet from our boat, and so happy and beautiful. Right now, Panama City Beach is oil free, but I'm worried it won't be long. Oil hit another one of my favorite places, recently, Fort Pickens. Above is a picture of Fort Pickens, taken spring of 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment